Warming, filling, nutrient dense, easy to make, full of flavour, stores well, re-heats easily and freezes well.
One large onion, chopped
4 medium carrots sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, chopped
half a tin of plum tomatoes
1 litre of water or instant stock (I use Kallo Organic chicken stock cubes)
1-2 chopped red chillis (optional)
200g yellow split peas (rinsed and drained)
3 large courgettes chopped
1-2 teaspoons dried oregano
Natural Greek yoghurt, or just natural yoghurt to serve.
1) Gently fry the onion and carrots for 3 minutes in a little olive oil until slightly soft
2) Add the garlic and chilli (if using) and fry for another 2 minutes
3) Add the split peas and stir them around a bit
4) Add the stock, the oregano and the tinned tomatoes and bring the peas to a boil
5) Boil for 10 minutes then turn down to simmer for about 25-30 minutes with the lid on
6) After 25 minutes or so (just before the split peas are fully cooked), add the chopped courgettes
7) Put the lid back on and let the courgettes simmer for about 10 minutes
8) Turn off the heat when the lentils start to break up but are still firm in the middle (keep testing).
9) Serve with a generous dollop of yoghurt, salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon.